During a consultation with Dr. Green, he will discuss what to expect before, during, and after your operation. A list of pre-operative instructions will be provided at our Fort Worth, TX, practice to help you properly prepare, and to ensure that you have a successful procedure.
IMPORTANT MEDICATION INFORMATION:
- Heart or Blood Pressure: If you take medication for your heart or blood pressure every morning, please take them the morning of the surgery. (Note: They can be taken with a small sip of water if you have morning surgery.)
- Insulin: If you take insulin for diabetes (high blood sugar), and you have a morning surgery, DO NOT take your insulin or eat breakfast. Please BRING your insulin with your kit to the office so we can treat you as needed with the insulin prescribed by your primary care physician during or after surgery. If you have an afternoon surgery, please discuss this with our office during your pre-op phone call.
PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL PATIENTS:
- Tobacco: Please DO NOT smoke for at least 24 hours prior to and at least 5 days after your surgery because Nicotine and tar adversely affect normal healing. DO NOT use tobacco products until the surgical site has healed.
- Alcohol: DO NOT ingest alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours before and at least 48 hours after your surgery.
- Sleep: Go to bed early the evening before your surgery. A well-rested patient is much more comfortable.
- Teeth: Please brush your teeth prior to your appointment. This will help reduce the amount of bacteria and therefore the chance of an infection.
- Medication: Take all regular medications prescribed by your primary care physician with a small sip of water before surgery.
- Clothing: Wear comfortable loose-fitting clothing. Short sleeves are preferable. Please, NO makeup.
- Work: Plan on resting the remainder of the day of your appointment, and depending on the difficulty of the procedure, anywhere from 1-3 days. Additional days may be required before healing, eating and soreness are at a stabilized level that would permit you to return to work. Please discuss this with our office.
PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR PATIENTS WHO WILL BE ASLEEP OR SEDATED:
- Food and Drink: This is VERY important in assuring safety during anesthesia, and your cooperation is crucial. If you have a morning surgery, DO NOT eat or drink anything past MIDNIGHT on the night prior to your surgery. If you have an afternoon surgery, you may drink clear liquids (Sprite, apple juice, etc.) up until 6 hours prior to your arrival time at the office, but still EAT NOTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT!
- Clothing: Patient must wear short sleeves for surgery.
- Escort: Please arrange for a RESPONSIBLE ADULT to escort you and care for you the day of and the night following your surgery. The ESCORT MUST STAY in the office through the entire surgery.
- Driving: Please DO NOT drive a car for at least 24 hours following surgery.
- Medication: DO NOT take medications unless prescribed by or approved by your surgeon, especially sleeping pills, tranquilizers, or aspirin.